Astronomy Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for astronomers and astrophysicists. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

In literature about the instrumentation of radio astronomy, I frequently come across a type of mixer described as "2SB". I'm familiar with single-sideband (SSB) and double-sideband (DSB) mixers, but I have never studied a 2SB mixer.

What is a 2SB mixer and how does it compare to a DSB mixer? Ideally, I would also like to know of formal references that directly address the topic for further reading.

share|improve this question
up vote 2 down vote accepted

2SB is Dual Sideband, as opposed to DSB - Double Sideband. Here are a couple of papers you might find relevant and interesting:

a 2SB upgrade replacing a DSB

a paper that mentions the advantages of 2SB over DSB

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.