Or are seismic phenomenon named differently when they happen on other celestial bodies? If so, what are they called?

  • 5
    $\begingroup$ Please read from wikipedia $\endgroup$
    – Knu8
    Commented Sep 22, 2016 at 13:58
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ It could be called marsquake, or? $\endgroup$
    – ott--
    Commented Sep 22, 2016 at 18:09
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Not if no one is around to feel the shake ;-) $\endgroup$
    – LocalFluff
    Commented Sep 22, 2016 at 20:29
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ While not an answer to your question, without plate tectonics, I wonder if Mars actually has "quakes". Volcanic eruptions which shake the ground some, sure. Those would be richter scale measurable events but eruptions aren't quakes. I'm not sure it has Mars-quakes or Earthquakes, which might be specific to plate tectonics. Perhaps some core settling could lead to a quake occasionally. (or am I being too literal?) $\endgroup$
    – userLTK
    Commented Sep 22, 2016 at 21:10
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ @userLTK No, a tectonic quake is only one type - the one we hear about most often due to their side effects. There are at least three other causes of quakes I can think of: collapse, explosion, and volcanic. $\endgroup$ Commented Sep 23, 2016 at 22:55

1 Answer 1


As pointed out in the comments, some do prefer to use different terms for quakes on other bodies, and you can see here that "marsquake" does have scholarly usage. That said, there is also scholarly usage for "earthquake" in this context. If you think about it, this makes sense given that one definition of "earth" is "the substance of the land surface", i.e. the ground. This definition of "earth" is agnostic to which terrestrial planet the land surface is on.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .