I seen the other day the moon lit directly below or towards my horizon perfectly.

My question, is there a term for when a moon's crescent is aligned with the viewer's horizon?

  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Maybe there are colloquial terms, but no astronomer I've met has used terms beyond 'waxing/waning crescent'. $\endgroup$
    – user10106
    Commented Sep 26, 2017 at 8:10

1 Answer 1


No formal astronomical term, but it is sometimes said to be "on its back"

Examples from "weather lore"

When the moon lies on its back
Then the sou-west wind will crack.

When the moon is on its back,
She sucks the wet into her lap.

It's sure to be a dry moon if it lies on its back
so you can hang your hat on its horns.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .