Sunspots rise vertically? Do they float on the surface like oil? Do they flow up or down vertically from the Sun's core like a lava lamp?

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • $\begingroup$ I don't understand what's being asked here. How can we describe the shape of a sunspot better than a picture on Google images? $\endgroup$ Feb 6 '18 at 23:46
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ I think he wants to know about the vertical shape. $\endgroup$
    – Phiteros
    Feb 7 '18 at 0:06
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ Can't fool me: your first picture isn't a sunspot. It's the Eye of Sauron $\endgroup$ Feb 7 '18 at 14:27
  • $\begingroup$ That is really a sun spot. But they may have used it. $\endgroup$
    – Muze
    Feb 7 '18 at 16:59

The sunspots are actually depressions and low thermal pressure zones.

Incredible magnetic fields are piercing the surface of the sun and the magnetic force pacifies the movement and the convection at the zone of the sunspot. that's why the surface becomes darker clouds near those magnetic fields.

Elsewhere, the sun's surface has convection wells called solar granules a bit like a lava lamp, which are about 1000km diameter. You can check images of "solar convection" to study maps of convection.

enter image description here

At a sunspot the movement of colder plasma flows downwards, and there is a hot spot trapped under the sunpot where the thermal energy escapes radially away from the sunspot.

enter image description here

This is a video attempting to illustrate the view under the sun:


This is a virtual simulation of them. The versions are wildly different:




here is a speeded up video of some sunspots:





Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.