My google news feed is awash with mono-themed articles, including a near Earth asteroid that passed by around election day 2020 in the US.
We can all hope that neither will lead to an extinction level event :-)
My question is about the asteroid itself.
- Will 2018 VP1 pass close to the Earth again this century?
- Did it before?
- Does this current pass have any particularly notable or consequential "keyhole-like" impact on its future orbit?
Cool GIF of several years of trajectory, about 5 MB so too large to embed directly: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Animation_of_2018_VP1%27s_orbit_around_Sun.gif
Background on Keyholes:
- Do all dangerous asteroids first pass through keyholes?
- Understanding gravitational keyhole analysis for Near-Earth Objects
- Gravitational keyhole for spacecraft flyby?