What is the position directly below the moon on the Earth called - is it the lunar nadir or something else ?

  • 6
    $\begingroup$ Wouldn't that be sublunar, similar to subsolar? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsolar_point $\endgroup$
    – asdfex
    Commented May 8 at 11:03
  • $\begingroup$ I believe it's "selenographic position of Earth". But there is probably more than one term. $\endgroup$ Commented May 8 at 11:59
  • $\begingroup$ I misread the question, what I was referring to above is the position on the Moon which Earth is directly below. The position on Earth the Moon is above is called the "geographic position" (or simply GP) of the Moon. $\endgroup$ Commented May 8 at 15:21
  • $\begingroup$ @Greg Miller I use "GP" all the time, too. And I also feel there must be some other terms. $\endgroup$
    – stretch
    Commented May 9 at 22:51
  • $\begingroup$ FWIW, Horizons can calculate such points. ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/horizons/manual.html#obsquan See 14. Observer sub-longitude & sub-latitude $\endgroup$
    – PM 2Ring
    Commented May 10 at 23:38

1 Answer 1


Both Oxford dictionary and the Merriem-Webster dictionary have sublunar point, just like @asdfex has suggested.




You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .